Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prop 8

I heard the Prop 8 ruling this morning, and I just don't even have a response. I am both shocked and severely disgusted, and I feel like I just don't quite understand. I am usually quite able to see why people have the feelings and reactions they do, and while I disagree with it, can understand where it comes from. This I do NOT understand. In the slightest I cannot comprehend how lawmakers, indeed NOT ordinary civilians, but lawmakers who supposedly principally and neutrally stand for what this country stands for.
Well, after Obama was elected I really felt like I could almost be proud to be an American, like we were finally coming out of years and years of hate. Once I read the Prop 8 decision, I lost that pride. This decision made me disgusted to be part of a country that thinks it acceptable, nay even necessary, to divide and alienate yet ANOTHER group within its own population. What I don't understand is the fear. What is so freaking scary?? Should two skinny people not be allowed to marry because they are too alike? How about people who went to the same school? This is how absolutely absurd I find this objection to equality and hapiness.
And while I condemn California for their disturbing coherrence to ignorance and fear, I have no lesser feeling for New Jersey. New Jersey has done nothing to move past civil partnerships, which are not equal to marriage, and its infuriating to have my own state say their solution is good enough. Its not.

No comments: