My older brother is of the belief that women whine and complain about men just because they like to complain. I was having a discussion with my mother about people's titles, and we came to the decision that calling any female adult stranger Mrs. is somewhat insulting. As the name after Mrs. if traditionally and quite often the husband's name, not the woman's name, assuming any adult female to be a Mrs. is to assume that they are somehow tied to a man. Whether in love or not, marriage bonds a woman to a man, making her no longer really independent, as usually it means her finances, house, and general life is shared. Having someone to share your life with is great, of course, but then why is there not a word for a man who has been tied to a woman? Because in our conceptions, he hasn't really been tied. We use phrases like "she's a catch" or "hold on tight to that one" which seem a little passive in terms of the woman's part in the relationship, don't ya think? Marriage itself is also still somewhat religious, and not everyone practices it. So, my mom and I both agreed that we'd be offended to be called Mrs. as a generic term (my mom's divorced and single).
So, my older brother, hearing this entire discussion, calmly chuckles and says "you girls are just being silly. It so doesn't matter whether it's Mrs. or Ms. or Miss, you're just reading too far into what people say." ...............seriously? like, seriously? silly? So our opinions about this subject, which affects us, not him, is silly? Isn't that itself rather demeaning? How about diminutive? I was shocked, and really quite sad, when he said that. I wish he could live in our world and let himself see reality from someone else's perspective. Just once would do it, I think. Just once.
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment