Since I began the process of applying to college, I have had doubts about just about everything. I haven't know what to study, whether to dorm, where to go, or even if I want to go to college at all. Growing up with a college professor for a mom, these doubts would have been heretical a few years ago, when my brother left high school. Now, she supports anything I choose to do, but in a way, this has made it harder. I have been left with no "normal" path to follow, and I'm having a hell of a time making my own path.
For college this year, I decided not to dorm. This had many complicated layers to it, but ultimately, I felt that I would be taking the easy route if I dormed. I have had extensive experience living in a dorm, in a setting much like college, where I was responsible for myself and my parents weren't around to help me at every fall. I'm used to this, I can make friends easily enough. Still, I felt like I would just play along, making shallow friends because they live with me, and being, more or less, irresponsible. How is living in a dorm, with expenses paid, and people to befriend right around you growing up? I care for my own car, I make friends when I find them interesting. I pay my own bills.
As mentioned earlier, living with a mom who's a researcher and professor, I pick up on a lot of things. For instance, my mother showed one of her classes on family development statistics that, when measuring cognitive maturity, and Keegan's levels of development, there is no correlation between physically distancing oneself from their family and becoming emotionally independent. This stunned me, and makes me believe that I may be successfully creating my own way to independence after all. Still, when there are no "normal" or "right" choices, how the hell do you decide anything?
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment