Sunday, February 8, 2009

A New Perspective on Art

This past Friday, I attended my high school's Annual Faculty Art Show. I am rather close with certain teachers there, especially the art department. One teacher, in particular, I consider to be a mentor, so that tends to be what I refer to her as. Well, I ended up buying two of her works. They're fantastic! When I told my friends I had bought them, they assumed it was just a kind of suck-up move. Clarification: It wasn't!
I wasn't planning on buying any work at the show, let alone her's, but when I saw it...it had soul. Beyond being aesthetic, or just cool, these pieces were finally something more than what I look at for school. I don't know if it's because I know the artist and her past work. Maybe. But I was just struck by how the art called out, and was alive.

Now I'm beginning to sound like I've been in art school too long...

Here's a photo of my two friends who accompanied me. They too went to my high school, and now my college.

No comments: