Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving thoughts

I have graduated college and since then been considering what my next adventure will be. A strange thing occurred to me recently. I have no permanent job, no romantic relationship, no dependents. I am, in the grand scheme of things, irrelevant.

Now, while this may seem like something awful, I do think it has lent me some perspective. I have been batting around ideas for graduate school for about two years now, and every time I settle on one, I can't go through with it. Well, with this revelation of mine came another epiphany. That I want to be relevant. I want to matter to world. I want to be a part of it's becoming the future, becoming better. With that in mind, so many of my ideas just seem even more irrelevant than my life now.

But there is one idea that has stuck with me. Before I went to Ireland last year, I came to the decision that what I really wanted more than anything is to be a storyteller. I don't know how or of what, but I want to make the world better and bigger through stories. This is something I'd lost sight of the last few months, but this is how I want to make my life relevant, important to the world. I still have no clue about graduate school, but that cannot be my primary aim. Storyteller is not a job description and is not a degree you can earn. But I will find a way to make it my contribution to this amazing world I love so much.

And to that I say, thank you all for being a part of my world. Remember to appreciate what makes you relevant to the world! Happy (early) Thanksgiving!

P.S. If you haven't heard it, this is my new favorite and totally cheesy Thanksgiving jam:

No comments: