Wednesday, August 22, 2012

XL stories: part 1

I just got back from a lovely vacation with the family to California and so I figured it was summer job story time again. Since I'm not really sure what I can and can't discuss, I wont use anyone's real name except mine. As a disclaimer, I'm posting these stories only because they are my favorite stories and the ones that made my summer so amazing.

Ok, today I want to share with you one of my best stories and one of my worst from our program.

One of my favorite worst stories: The first week of the program was staff orientation, which involved lots of staff bonding, teaching prep (not me, I worked in the office), and generally organization and planning. One of my jobs was to organize the binder that had been started with all of the required forms from the staff, like health, employment history, background checks, etc. This was to prepare for the camp inspector coming to clear us. I diligently bugged the staff to get all their forms in and had just about everything in when my boss told me that he would have to be put in the book as a conscientious objector. I'll let you speculate about the reasons behind that and their integrity. Anyways, we were scared we might have to explain why he chose to be a "c.o." and we went to a bit of trouble to organize where he would be when the inspector came and who would handle the inspection. So the assistant director and I sat in the office, sweating profusely, through the inspection and waved our director away when he came in view of the office. Well, as it turned out, the inspector noted it like it was no big deal and we passed absolutely fine. But for being like 5 days into this new job, my nerves were certainly high. I remember thinking to myself that now I knew the craziness they talk about happening every year. I didn't. Not even close.

One of my favorite best stories: Possibly my favorite memory of the whole program was also during staff orientation. We met everyday and began by giving the quality of our day so far on a scale from one to ten. On about the third or so day of orientation, we were all sitting in a circle like we usually do, and this time along with the quality of our day, we had to share something we were excited for in the program. About two-thirds of the way around the circle we get to T, who hesitates before saying "I know we've just met and don't really know each other, but I'm excited for a time when we're all really great friends." This made me cry then, and now thinking back of how true her words were, the feeling's even stronger. She was right and few of us realized it. I thought this would be another job, but I was wrong. It turned out to be a family, my new family, and one I'm so thankful and proud to be a part of. When I really miss them, this is the story that always makes me feel better.


Hopefully I'll have more for you soon! Let me know if you enjoy reading these or if they're just really boring...thanks!

No comments: