Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wake Up, Get Real Retreat

So I've been contemplating what to write about my spring break last week. I went on a 5 day Young Adults Buddhist retreat at a monastery upstate. As after all retreats, I came home blissed out swearing I wanted to be a monastic. And those I say genuinely. This retreat, though, was different for me. Not sure whether it was the people or the place or maybe I'm finally in the right state of mind, but this retreat just totally captured me.
I've been having these awakening moments more and more and keep getting deeper into this stuff, and it's all just a result of where I am and what goes on. I didn't really get the first retreat I went to. Since then its been growing on me, I start thinking about it more and considering what it would be like to practice mindfulness and compassionate consumption, etc. Last retreat I came home and was too uncomfortable to start eating meat again, not really thinking about being a vegetarian 7 months later.

After this retreat, it's catapulted. I can't stop thinking about it, both the retreat there and my mindfulness here. It no longer feels like an interest or hobby. It's like something I have to do, like breathing or sleeping. I try to stop thinking about it or get back to "normal" and its like I'm suffocating. It's like I'm trying to be someone else. I think I just have to ride this thing out and see where it takes me. Might be monastic life down the line. Might not. I've met some seriously cool monks and nuns (all on facebook, so I wouldn't loose contact with anyone...)

I also found a most wonderful group of people at the retreat and we email each other like frantic 12 year olds during the day, sharing videos and recipes and planning days when we can go back. I had never been to Blue Cliff before and I haven't thought of myself as the kind of girl who is uber-religious or spiritual or whatever you want to call it. But this place feels like home. I feel like these people, monastics and lay people, are my family that I can call when I need them or visit whenever I want. I trust them with myself more than a lot of people I've known for some time. They make me love to death the same world I was sick of and resentful of last week. How can I not embrace that?

Anyways, I figured I should just say what was on my mind rather than explain all about why and how I got to be to this point. I don't know why I'm doing this, so I'm unsure what to write about it. I'm just doing it because I have to right now.

So, sorry if this all comes across as cultish. It's not, I swear, I'm not drinking any Kool-Aid...
Here's a picture of us to show you how normal it is:
And in case you want one that does look kind of cultish, see photo #2 :) (us receiving the Five Mindfulness Trainings. I'm in the green in the back, with my head to the ground...)

If you want to check out the monastery or about the practice, here's their website:
http://bluecliffmonastery.org/

No comments: