Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Titanic and little Wilhelm

Not to be too bipolar about my blogposts, but today was possibly the most fantastic day I've had since last spring!

Firstly, all the small things seemed amazing today. The moon was really awesome tonight. I had my favorite clothes clean. My family was laid back. Oh, and I got out of New Jersey...

So, one of my oldest and largest secret obsessions is with the Titanic. Since I can remember I've read books at the breakfast table about it's construction, novels about passengers on the ship, and games where you are on the boat. I've learned about all the facts, theories, artifacts, famous people. In short, its a serious obsession...and the Discovery Channel has just put up a show on the Titanic right off Times Square. Thankfully, my dear old dad found out about it and embraces my numerous addictions. So my parents and my little brother came with me to the exhibit. It was pretty cool. I couldn't decide whether to cry or faint when I saw the replication of the 1st class stairwell that's so famous. I've totally dreamt about that room, what it'd be like, even before the movie of Titanic came out, despite how cliche it is. They actually built a replica of this room and let you walk through it! I was beside myself!

Anyways, here's the link to the exhibit if anyone is interested: http://www.discoverytsx.com/
They also have an exhibit on the skeleton Lucy, and I know that's a whole other story in itself, but that's another of my really big vices...

After the exhibit, I had a lovely meal with my family, I got to watch two new TV shows I'm really getting into (I know, like I need more???) and I bought a small stuffed bear at the Titanic exhibit. He's dressed as a captain, hat, tie, jacket and all. Since he reminded me of my grandfather, who was in the Navy and had immigrant German relatives, I named him Captain Wilhelm Von Kappenberg, which is my great-grandfather's German name.

No comments: